Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Amazing

The more I go to thrift stores, (second hand stores) the more I wonder why people would pay a lot of money for many kinds of things. I see things, like new, for a quarter or fifty cents or a dollar that cost quite a bit more new. Some of it is in the original package still. Bunches and bunches and bunches of everything one can think of.

I don't want all that stuff. It is overwhelming. Every once in a while I buy an item if I like it. All that stuff brings to mind thoughts of "what is really valuable in life anyway?" Some of these things come from the estates of people after they die or have to downsize and go into a nursing home. There is a kind of emptiness in owning just to possess things. You can imagine some things for sale there were never used because they were being kept for "good". They should have treated themselves and used what they liked instead of settling for lesser things.

The things of the world pass away but our souls are eternal. Thrift stores are a wonderful place to get whatever is needed inexpensively. But they remind me of the words of Solomon in the book of Ecclesiastes. Some of what we humans chase after is not worth it, like chasing after the wind.

No comments: